Pages

Sharing inspirations, ideas and works in progress

Thursday 21 June 2012

Anywhere but the bloody theatre....!

Last week I saw two wonderful performances that you would expect to see in a theatre - but no.... there are always other options.

Last Saturday I saw dANTE or dIE (http://www.danteordie.com), a dance/art group perform La Fille a la Mode at the Nucleus Gallery in Chatham as part of the Medway Fuse Festival. It was a unique experience! They danced through the courtyard, in the conference room, by the loos and on the roof. I very much enjoyed it although I think the performance was enhanced by the reactions of some very young French children who were both enraptured and terrified by it at the same time....

dANTE or dIE performing La Fille a la Mode at the National Theatre



A few days earlier I'd been to see the National Theatre's version of Frankenstein - not live but at the Vue cinema in Thurrock. The National has taken to filming its plays so they can be shown in cinemas worldwide. 

Initially, in the foyer of the cinema I was surrounded by a host of fabulous Essex girls in 9 inch heels and mini-skirts all on their way to see Men in Black 3. The usher didn't even need to look at my ticket - 'middle aged lady in a scarf? You'll be wanting Frankenstein in screen 6, Madam'. 

I was a bit concerned the experience of watching a play in the cinema would be too odd and  indeed the first act proved challenging. It's a 20 minute piece of visceral, physical theatre in which the Creature is born, it's senses awaken and it learns how to walk, make sounds and become aware of itself - how it turns from an 'it' to a 'him'. In the theatre I can imagine this was an edge of the seat and breathtaking piece but the screen proved a barrier I couldn't ignore. However, by the second act I was fully engrossed in the play and completely forgot I was in a cinema. In fact, considering the seats at the National can be a bit uncomfy and the play was sold out, the huge squashy cinema seats in a near empty screen competed well as an alternative. 



Trailer for the NT live showing of Frankenstein


I saw the version with Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature and Jonny Lee Miller as Frankenstein, which according to the reviews is the 'wrong' way around with both actors having the edge when playing the other role. However, the improvement must be tiny because the performances I saw were phenomenal. Jonny Lee Miller was the surprise for me. Being the only person alive to have still not watched Trainspotting I've never seen him in anything and only knew him as Angelina Jolie's ex. He may not be the pretty young thing he once was but he is certainly superb in this play. If it comes around again - brave the miniskirts and make sure you see it.





No comments:

Post a Comment