Pages

Sharing inspirations, ideas and works in progress

Thursday 21 June 2012

Back from Zanzibar.

Sadly, not the island, but the hotel in Hastings.  We had an overnight trip to the sea-side town earlier this week in order to take a look at the recently opened Jerwood Gallery. Places like Hastings (and Margate and Broadstairs, of course) are my idea of heaven. English sea-side with a weeny bit of culture thrown in.

The Jerwood gallery has been built right on the seafront in the old part of town. I visited a couple of years ago before it was built and, although there was local opposition to it, I have to say I can't for the life of me remember what was there before.



 Personally I think the building, which obviously takes  its design from the fishermen's net huts that surround it, is beautiful. However, the 'no to Jerwood' graffiti that is still visible bears witness to local reluctance. So was it worth it?

Frances Rose, 1973, by Maggie Hambling
Hmmmm, I think the jury is still out. Although only a fraction of the Jerwood collection is on view at any one time, I found it to be pretty uninspiring. In fact the architecture of the building could be the collection's undoing - most of the galleries have large windows framing scenes from the beach and the town which are far more enticing and exciting that the art on the walls. The work is a collection of late 19th to early 21st century British artists. With the exception of a wonderful portrait by Maggie Hambling, I  found it fairly underwhelming.

I didn't find the Hotel Zanzibar (http://www.zanzibarhotel.co.uk) underwhelming though... our room was fabulous.

Our room at Hotel Zanzibar in Hastings
 Even though the weather had closed in by then we had a wonderful room service dinner sitting at the window and looking out at the stormy grey Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment